Adventure Out has been running expedition-based experiential learning programs for youth development since 1984.
Our School programs remain a rite of passage for thousands of students each year. We have an infectious love for the outdoors, and a passion for environmental education.
Experiential learning and self-development through adventure and fun is our forte. The experiential programs we deliver are complimentary to the in-school learnings delivered by the teaching and educational staff.
- Outback bush camping
- Abseiling, Climbing & Ziplining
- Raft building & rafting
- Practical problem-solving activities
- Thinking critically, creatively and strategically
- Orienteering & navigation
- Experiential Activity programs on location
OUTCOMES & BENEFITS
- Ignite the human spirit
- Empowering resilience & grit
- Evoke good citizenship
- Develop risk identification & management
- Collaboration and cooperation in promoting collective common objectives; 'Teamwork'
- Promote positive self-esteem and wellbeing
- Development of Practical Skills: through participating in and leading adventure activities involving outdoor expeditions; students develop independent exploration skills through rock-climbing, kayaking, canoeing, abseiling, hiking, surfing, swimming and through conservation activities such as habitat awareness.
- Outdoor competency skills: development of independent and self-reliant living skills. In this the students assume responsibility for decisions and implementation of outdoor living such a menu planning and preparation, personal and group discipline with equipment storage and order, camp set up.
- Leadership Skills: Students are given the opportunity with each task to take on different roles within the group to experience the change in dynamic. The camp and groups facilitators provide the students with opportunity to verbally break down the group dynamics and different leadership roles and skills, as well as provide the situational experiential leadership learning opportunities.
- Safety and wellbeing: Assisting students with developing decision-making tools and models for safe outdoor journeys. Students learn about preparation and planning for an outdoor expedition, emergency procedures, mental and physical Fitness, as well as 'Real and Perceived Risk'. Students learn about the holistic aim of safety management, encompassing communication models and management. Matching aims and objectives with philosophy, group and environment.
- Environmental consciousness: Identifying and developing knowledge of the student's environment surroundings required for safe and effective outdoor activity. Safe and effective for both the participant and the habitat. This involves the students investigating and identifying the skills and knowledge required for 'Not' only a safe journey in particular environments, with a focus on an ethical lens towards a sustainable footprint.
Outdoor Education Australia advocates that every child has a right to access quality Outdoor Education as part of a balanced curriculum from pre-school to Year 12. Outdoor education provides opportunities to develop positive relationships with the environment, others and ourselves through interaction with the natural world.
Outdoor education engages students in practical and active learning experiences in natural environments, situations and settings beyond the school classroom. In these conditions, students develop the skills and understandings to move safely and competently while valuing a positive relationship with natural environments and promoting the sustainable use of these environments. The students develop lifelong skills of observation, respect for nature, and understanding of their own competencies with an insight to one's own resilience.
Outdoor education is uniquely placed to address the general capabilities and cross curriculum priorities of the Australian Curriculum; personal and social capability, critical and creative thinking, ethical understanding and moral behaviours, Aboriginal perspectives of land and country, and environmental sustainability.
At Adventure Out we're dedicated to preserving and protecting our invaluable natural environment through experiential learning. Understanding the world around us, recognising its beauty and minimising our impact within it, are the necessary steps toward a healthy planet and sustainable society.